At Columbia Center for Sleep Apnea and TMJ, we treat many painful conditions of the head and face that include temporomandibular joint dysfunction, bite relationship problems, trigeminal neuralgia/neuropathy, migraine, tension-type headache, atypical tooth pain, atypical facial pain, and burning mouth or tongue, just to name a few.
We also work closely with our physician colleagues to screen and help manage patients with sleep-related breathing disorders such as snoring and sleep apnea.
Treatments or services offered include the following:
- Patient education
- Medication review and counseling
- Sleep evaluation and screening
- Sleep appliance therapy for Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Habit behavior modification
- Stress management therapies
- Pharmacotherapy (medications)
- Diagnostic anesthetic blocks
- Therapeutic anesthetic nerve blocks
- Muscle trigger point injections
- Therapeutic BOTOX for headaches and facial pain
- Diagnostic and therapeutic temporomandibular joint injections
- Temporomandibular joint mobilization
- Intraoral orthotic therapy (oral splints/night guards)
- Low-Level Laser Therapy
- Coordination of multidisciplinary care
Chronic pain is very complicated, and treatment usually takes several visits and often includes lifestyle changes. There is no “magic bullet” for chronic pain. The outcome of any treatment modality is determined by realistic goals, expectations and the patient’s level of compliance to the therapeutic recommendations. Each patient will have a different, individual response to therapy. For this reason, each patient’s treatment is tailored to his or her specific needs. This approach enables all our patients to experience maximum therapeutic benefits.